Water Restrictions Level 3
Hessequa Municipality – RIVERSDALE: We all need to THINK WATER. Level 3 Water Restrictions remain in place for Riversdale. Although many community members are diligently saving and conserving water, there are many that are not. Help us to preserve our water supply by changing the way in which we use it and reducing our daily usage.
HOW YOU ARE USING WATER IN THE HOME?
BY CHANGING A FEW HABITS, IT WILL BE EASY TO SAVE WATER.
- Shower versus bath. If a family of four should shower and each have a 5-minute shower, this would use 400 litres of water more than DOUBLE the amount in a bath!
- Limit showers to 5 minutes and install low-flow shower heads
- Don’t leave the water running in the basin while shaving or brushing teeth.
- Fix those leaky toilets and taps
- Old toilet cisterns can use as much as 9 litres of clean water every flush. Reduce this by placing a ‘save-a-flush’ or ‘hippo’ in the cistern.
- Save water as well as energy by using the minimum amount of water required when you boil water in saucepans and kettles.
- Keep water in the fridge for drinking so that you don’t have to let the tap run to cool water
- Avoid using colouring for toilet water as these introduce chemicals into the eco- system which can be dangerous and costly to filter out.
- Don’t waste water just because someone else is footing the bill, such as at restaurants and hotels.
- Fill a bowl of water to clean vegetables, instead of rinsing them under a running tap.
- A front-loading washing machine uses up to 40% less water that a top loading model.
- Wait until you have a full load before switching on dishwasher and washing machines.
- Ensure your water pipes and external taps are lagged in time for the cold winter months. If they burst they will waste a great deal of water.