Waste management and recycling:
Each year in Hessequa alone we throw away tonnes of waste a lot of it is hazardous.
It is clear that treating and disposing of all this material- without harming the environment – becomes a major headache.
Land filling not only takes up more and more valuable land space, it also causes air, water and soil pollution, discharging carbon dioxide (CO2) and methane (CH4) into the atmosphere and chemicals and pesticides into the earth and groundwater. This, in turn, is harmful to human health, as well as to plants and animals.
An easy way of sorting and recycling:
Newspapers and magazines
All plastic (cooldrink/milk bottles, clean plastic shopping bags, plastic containers like household cleaning agents must be cleaned, clean wrapping and packing plastic.
Aliminium (food containers, cooldrink cans etc.)
– Tinted glass
– Transparent glass
Not suitable for recycling:
– Any wet, smelly soiled material
– Chemically treated paper (old faxes and heat sensitive items)
– Used paper towels and serviettes, wax paper, ply- or plastic coated glossy paper, milk/juice cartons
– Rubber bands
– Metal paper fasteners
– Tinfoil and cling wrap plastic
– Safety glass
– Laminated glass
– Light bulbs and neon tubes
– Crockery, pottery, plates, cups etc.
Please collect transparent bags any municipal office. You can put them out with your other bags on your day of collection.